Friday, May 1, 2009

Julius Caesar Quotes? Who Said It?, What Makes it Important?

A Shakespearean quote such as "To be, or not to be" and the famous "O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?" quote form some of literature's most celebrated lines and if asked to recite one of Shakespeare's most famous quotations the majority of people would choose one of these. However, many expressions that we use every day originated in Shakespeare's plays. We use the Bard's words all of the time in everyday speech, however, we are often totally unaware that we are 'borrowing' sayings from his work - we frequently quote Shakespeare! Will Shake-speare is attributed with writing 38 plays, 154 sonnets and 5 other poems and used about 21,000 different words. Shake-speare is credited by the Oxford English Dictionary with the introduction of nearly 3,000 words into the language. It's no wonder that expressions from his works are an 'anonymous' part of the English language.

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him". Quote (Act III, Scene II).

"But, for my own part, it was Greek to me". - Julius Caesar Quote (Act I, Scene II).

"A dish fit for the gods". Quote (Act II, Scene I).

"Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of war". Julius Caesar Quote (Act III, Sc. I).

"Et tu, Brute!" Quote (Act III, Scene I).

"Men at some time are masters of their fates: The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings". - (Quote Act I, Scene II).

"Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more". Quote (Act III, Scene II).

"Beware the ides of March". - (Quote Act I, Scene II).

"This was the noblest Roman of them all". - (Quote Act V, Sc. V).

"When that the poor have cried, Caesar hath wept: Ambition should be made of sterner stuff". - (Quote Act III, Sc. II).

"Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous" Julius Quote (Act I, Scene II).

"For Brutus is an honourable man; So are they all, all honourable men". - (Quote Act III, Sc. II).

"As he was valiant, I honour him; but, as he was ambitious, I slew him" . Quote (Act III, Sc. II).

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear;Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come". Julius Caesar Quote (Act II, Scene II).