Thursday, August 20, 2015

Listening Inventories with Improvement Plans

Listening Self-Analysis Part I

______1. I have always considered listening an automatic process not a learned behavior that I could work to improve.

______2. When I think a topic is uninteresting, I stop and think about something else.

______3. I react so emotionally to certain topics that it is hard for me to listen to speeches about them.

______4. Certain words trigger extreme responses in me.

______5. I am easily distracted by noises or movement in the room where someone is speaking.


______6. I don’t like to listen to speakers unless they are experts on their topics.

______7. Certain types of people are so objectionable that I don’t like to listen to them.

______8. I tend to feel sleepy when someone talks in a monotone.

______9. I become so dazzled by an impressive presentation that I often don’t listen to what the speaker is really saying.

______10. I don’t like to listen to speeches that run counter to my values.

AREA 1 AREA 2 AREA 3

AREA IDETIFIED

WHY DO YOU
PERCEIVE THIS
AS A PROLEM

HOW WILL YOU SOLVE
THIS PROBEM WITH
SPECIFIC STRATEGIES...
TWO SPECIFIC STRATEGIES
FOR EACH ARE CHOSEN.

Listening Self-Analysis Part II

______11. When I disagree with a speaker, I try to think up counterarguments during the
speech.

______12. I know so much about some topics that I can’t learn anything else from a speaker.

______13. I consider the speaker to be the one responsible for the effectiveness of communication.

______14. I usually have so much on my mind that I find it hard to listen to others.

______15. I often stop listening when a difficult subject is being discussed.

______16. I can look as though I’m listening even when I’m not.

______17. I listen only for the facts and ignore the rest of a message.

______18. I try to write down everything a speaker says.

______19. I get so caught up with a speaker’s appearance that I often don’t attend to the message.

______20. I often jump to conclusions and put words in a speaker’s mouth.

AREA 1 AREA 2 AREA 3

AREA IDETIFIED

WHY DO YOU PERCEIVE
THIS AS A PROLEM

HOW WILL YOU SOLVE
THIS PROBEM WITH
SPECIFIC STRATEGIES...
TWO SPECIFIC STRATEGIES
FOR EACH ARE CHOSEN.